The upgraded 2017 BMW 4 Series range will arrive in Australia this June, with headline changes being the addition of new LED lighting, iDrive 6 and revised suspension tuning — and price hikes of up to $2000.
The latest 4 Series LCI (short for Life Cycle Impulse, the company’s term for update) also spells the end of the 420d diesel option. Thus the 4 Series coupe, convertible and Gran Coupe hatchback range will come in 420i, 430i and 440i petrol forms only.
All members of the revised 4 Series range now get bi-LED headlights, and can be had with a full adaptive automatic setting. There are also revised LED tail-lights, 19-inch alloy wheels and new Sunset Orange and Snapper Rocks Blue paint options.
There’s also better ‘Nora’ leather on the steering wheel, new wiper and indicator stalks, claimed tactile improvements to other touch points, and BMW navigation professional with the iDrive 6 infotainment system that premiered on the new G30 5 Series.
The 4 Series coupe and Gran Coupe versions also get redesigned suspension, with ride height lowered to match the 3 Series M Sport, with stiffer springs and quicker damper response. Adaptive M suspension remains standard, thankfully.
The electric-assisted steering has also been tweaked to complement the claimed handling improvements, while the polarising Variable Sport Steering (variable ratio) system is now optional on all variants.
The familiar engines kick off with the 135kW/270Nm 2.0-litre turbo in the 420i range, matched to an eight-speed ZF automatic sending torque to the rear wheels. The claimed 0-100km/h time is 7.5 seconds for the coupe, 7.7sec for the GC and 8.4sec for the convertible with folding hard-top.
Next is the uprated 2.0-litre turbocharged 430i range with 185kW/350Nm, the 8AT and RWD combination, and a 0-100km/h time varying by body between 5.8sec and 6.3sec.
The range-topping (excluding the M4) 440i range uses a familiar TwinPower turbocharged 3.0-litre straight-six making 240kW and 450Nm, 8AT and RWD, reducing the claimed 0-100km/h time to between 5.0sec and 5.4sec.
The 4 Series LCI can't come soon enough for BMW, with the coupe and convertible models' sales down about to 15 per cent this year to 344 units, way behind the much newer Mercedes-Benz C-Class coupe/convertible range (912, up more than 700 per cent). Gran Coupe sales meanwhile are down 18.5 per cent YTD to 190.
2017 BMW 4 Series LCI pricing (before on-roads):
420i coupe $69,900 (+$1000)
420i Gran Coupe $69,900 (+$1000)
420i convertible $87,900 (+$2000)
BMW 430i coupe $79,900 (unchanged)
BMW 430i Gran Coupe $79,900 (unchanged)
BMW 430i convertible $97,900 (+$1000)
BMW 440i coupe $99,900 (unchanged)
BMW 440i Gran Coupe $99,900 (unchanged)
BMW 440i convertible $117,900 (unchanged)
Standard specification for the 420i:
- 2.0-litre TwinPower turbo engine
- Eight-speed sports automatic
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- Adaptive M Suspension
- LED headlights
- Exterior mirrors with anti-dazzle function
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Navigation System Professional with iDrive 6
- Head-up Display
- Dakota Leather upholstery
- Electric sports seats with memory function
- Extended smartphone connectivity
- Emergency call and TeleServices
- ConnectedDrive Services
- Remote Services
- Real-time traffic information
- DAB+ radio capability
- Lane-change warning
- Driving Assistant
- Surround-view 360-degree camera
- Speed Limit Info
- Rear-view camera
- Six-speaker stereo
- Automatic tailgate (Gran Coupe)
- Wind deflector (convertible)
- Electric folding hardtop (convertible)
- M Sport Package as standard equipment (Luxury Line a no-cost option)
- Comfort Access keyless entry
- Electric lumbar support for driver and front passenger
- Nine-speaker, 205W HiFi Loudspeaker System
- 3.0-litre TwinPower turbo inline-six
- BMW Individual leather instrument panel (for M Sport Package)
- ConnectedDrive Concierge Services
- Heated front seats
- High Beam Assist
- Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function
- Parking Assistant
- Adaptive LED Headlights
- harman/kardon 16-speaker, 600W surround sound system
- Air Collar (convertible)