Audi’s best-selling SUV ever has been further honed, with an edgier design, more space and more advanced engines, as well as more technology to regain its market-leading position.
From 2009 to 2015 the Audi Q5 was the world’s most successful SUV in its class. It was also Audi’s single biggest seller as a body style, trumped only by the entire A3 range. Sales of the Q5 in Australia over that six-year period were close to 24,000 units.
The latest Q5 arrives here with a range of 2.0-litre petrol and diesel engines and a choice of two trim lines; design and sport. Both are paired with Audi’s redeveloped seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, which claims smoother and faster shifts for better fuel efficiency.
Entry level is the Audi Q5 design 2.0 TDI quattro S tronic from $65,900, Audi Q5 sport 2.0 TDI quattro S tronic from $70,700 and Audi Q5 sport TFSI quattro S tronic from $73,500, all excluding on-road costs and dealer delivery charges.
The Audi Q5 design (and sport model) 2.0 TDI is powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine making 140kW (up 10kW) and 400Nm of torque. Claimed fuel consumption is 5.3 litres per 100km (0.7L less than its predecessor), while its 0-100km/h time is 7.9 seconds.
The Audi Q5 sport TFSI boasts a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine developing 185kW and 370Nm, with fuel consumption of 7.3L/100km. It can go from 0-100km/h in 6.3 seconds and is only available in the sport trim.
The new model is up to 90kg lighter than the outgoing model, contributing to a 12 per cent reduction in fuel consumption for the diesel engine, along with Audi’s new 'quattro ultra' drivetrain, which is standard on both petrol and diesel engines.
The latest Audi Q5 is also longer (by 34mm) and taller (by 6mm), though width is the same as its predecessor. Importantly, the wheelbase has been extended by a modest 12mm, which overall has given the Q5 an additional 10 litres of luggage space.
Depending on how the optional sliding rear bench is positioned, there is between 550-610 litres of load space behind the rear seats. When folded flat, that space increases to 1550 litres.
The new-generation Audi Q5 has also been awarded the top 5-star Euro NCAP safety rating thanks to a host of the latest active and passive safety systems that include as standard on all models;
• Audi pre-sense city with Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) and pedestrian detection (up to 85km/h)
• Exit Warning System – which alerts drivers of cyclists before opening the driver’s door
• Cross traffic assist
• Audi side assist blind spot warning system
• Audi pre-sense basic (belt tensioning, window closing and other preventative measures if a crash is immanent.
• Audi pre-sense rear (such as flashing hazard lights to warn traffic if they are at risk of running in to the rear of the car)
Higher-end sport models add the following safety features:
• Adaptive cruise control with Stop & Go
• Turn assist
• Audi pre-sense front (collision warning up to 250km/h)
• Predictive efficiency assistant
• High-beam assist
Standard equipment even on the entry-level design model includes MMI Navigation with a seven-inch high-res screen, 3D maps, live traffic info and natural voice recognition for handsfree control.
Audi Connect is also standard, which enables a high-speed 4G internet connection, as well as Google Earth and Google search. There’s also Audi’s smartphone interface that provides connectivity via Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
An electric tailgate is also standard on all models and is activated via a sensor-controlled kick motion.
In addition, key equipment highlights for the entry Q5 ‘design’ model include:
• 18-inch alloy wheels
• Xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights and taillights
• Leather-appointed seats
• 40:20:40 split-fold rear seats
• Convenience key (hands-free entry and engine start)
• Multifunction steering wheel with paddle-shifters
• Three-zone climate control with digital rear display
• Eight-speaker audio system with CD player and 2 x SDXC card readers
Q5 sport adds the following equipment to the design model above:
• 20-inch alloy wheels
• Adaptive LED headlights with dynamic rear indicators
• Sport front seats
• Audi virtual cockpit 12.3-inch high-res instrument cluster
• MMI Navigation plus with 8.3-inch screen, MMI touch, DVD player and five included map updates
• Audi premium 10-speaker sound system with subwoofer and 180w output
Buyers can also choose between several different packages for their Q5 and these include; the Comfort, S-Line and Technik, as well as a host of other options.
2017 Audi Q5 pricing (before on-road costs)
Q5 design 2.0 TDI quattro S tronic - $65,900
Q5 sport 2.0 TDI quattro S tronic - $70,700
Q5 sport TFSI quattro S tronic - $73,500