With the previous-generation CX-5 having been on sale since 2012, the Japanese brand has sold 1.2 million units across 120 different countries, with nearly 10 per cent of the SUV’s volume being taken up here in Australia (115,000).
That has seen the Mazda CX-5 remain the most popular SUV in the country for four years in a row.
The 2017 Mazda CX-5 uses the existing powertrains of the outgoing model, however it brings refreshed exterior and interior packages plus a host of additional equipment, refinement and moderate fuel efficiency gains.
The new Mazda CX-5 comes with two petrol engines, a 2.0-litre and 2.5-litre four-cylinder, or a 2.2-litre diesel available across five grades and 12 different variants, including three Maxx and three Maxx Sport, two Touring, GT and Akera grades.
The base petrol engine will be made available as a front-wheel drive (FWD) while the larger petrol and diesel engine are available exclusively with all-wheel drive (AWD).
Mazda will offer the entry model FWD CX-5 Maxx with a six-speed manual, priced from $28,690, with the range topping out at $49,990 for the top-spec CX-5 Akera diesel AWD.
The new CX-5 measures 4550mm (+10mm on previous model) in length, 1840mm in width and 1675mm in height (-30mm). The wheelbase remains at 2700mm with a turning radius of 5.5m.
Mazda will offer the CX-5 with eight different colour choices including a revised version of the Soul Red as well as Eternal Blue, Machine Grey, Sonic Silver, Snowflake White Pearl, Titanium Flash, Deep Crystal Blue and Jet Black.
On the inside, choices range from black cloth, black Maztex/suede, black and white leather options.
The boot has increased in size from 403 to 442 litres, which Mazda claims is big enough to accommodate three 72cm suitcases or four golf bags.
The infotainment system still lacks smartphone mirroring technologies such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, however the new 7.0-inch screen now uses optical bonding for the LCD and touch panel, making it noticeably thinner and more resistant to reflection.
The basic audio system is a six-speaker unit with 165mm door speakers in the front and rear with 25mm hard dome tweeters in the A-Pillars. The 10-speaker Bose system in the GT grades and above uses 165mm speakers in the front doors and 130mm rear door speakers, as well as 25mm silk dome tweeters in the A-pillars, a bass box, an 80mm midrange speaker in the centre of the dashboard, and 60mm midrange speakers in the upper D-pillars.
The noise vibration and harshness levels of the new CX-5 have been vastly improved, with new sound deadening technologies used across the range. The improvements see the new CX-5 produce the same level of cabin noise at 100km/h as the previous model did at 80km/h, according to Mazda.
On the safety side, all models get blind spot monitoring, rear parking sensors and camera, as well as rear cross-traffic alert. The addition of upgraded smart city brake support, a form of autonomous emergency braking (AEB), is also available across the range with the ability to now also detect pedestrians (between 10-60km/h) as well as vehicles (4-80km/h).
When the system detects an object and assesses the threat of an imminent collision, it automatically applies the brakes.
The top-spec Akera gains the latest in active safety with Mazda radar cruise control with full stop and go functionality, lane departure and lane keep assistance systems as well as side camera and smart brake support.
2017 Mazda CX-5 Engine lineup and fuel economy figures
- 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol (FWD only) 6.9L/100m (combined cycle) – 114kW of power (6000 RPM) – 200Nm of torque (4000RPM) – 91RON or E10 capable
- 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol (AWD only) 7.5L/100km (combined cycle) – 140kW of power (6000 RPM) – 251Nm of torque (4000RPM) – 91RON or E10 capable
- 2.2-litre four-cylinder diesel (AWD only) – 129kW of power (4500 RPM) – 420Nm of torque (2000RPM) – diesel
2017 Mazda CX-5 Pricing
2017 Mazda CX-5 Maxx
- 2.0L Petrol 6MT FWD $28,690
- 2.0L Petrol 6AT FWD $30,690
- 2.5L Petrol 6AT AWD $33,690
2017 Mazda CX-5 Maxx Sport
- 2.0L Petrol 6AT FWD $34,390
- 2.5L Petrol 6AT AWD $37,390
- 2.2L Diesel 6AT AWD $40,390
2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring
- 2.5L Petrol 6AT AWD $38,990
- 2.2L Diesel 6AT AWD $41,990
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
- 2.5L Petrol 6AT AWD $44,390
- 2.2L Diesel 6AT AWD $47,390
2017 Mazda CX-5 Akera
- 2.5L Petrol 6AT AWD $46,990
- 2.2L Diesel 6AT AWD $49,990
2017 Mazda CX-5 Specification
2017 Mazda CX-5 Maxx
- 17-inch steel wheels with 225/65 tyres
- Headlamps (LED)
- Power mirrors (body-coloured with electric folding)
- Front seats with height adjustment and seat back pockets
- Rear seats with reclining function and 40/20/40 split fold backrest
- Seat trim: Black cloth
- 7-inch full colour touch screen display (MZD Connect)
- Audio system with: AM/FM tuner, Digital radio (DAB+) and six speakers
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio capability
- Internet radio integration (Pandora, Stitcher and Aha)
- Multi-function commander control
- Advanced keyless push button engine start
- Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
- Parking sensors (rear)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Reverse camera
- Smart City Brake Support [Forward/Reverse] (SCBS F/R)
2017 Mazda CX-5 Maxx Sport (in addition to Maxx)
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Front fog-lamps (LED)
- Headlamps auto on/off
- Wipers (front) 2-speed with rain-sensing function
- Rear-view mirror with auto dimming function
- Air-conditioning (dual-zone climate control)
- Rear seats with: centre armrest storage and USB input
- Satellite navigation
- Rear air vents
2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring (in addition to Maxx Sport)
- Power mirrors (body-coloured with heating and auto folding folding)
- Active Driving Display (flip-up)
- Seat trim: Black Maztex / Black suede
- Advanced keyless entry
- Parking sensors (front)
- Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR)
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT (in addition to Touring)
- 19-inch alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres
- Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS)
- Remote operated power tailgate (open/close)
- Power sliding and tilt glass sunroof
- Front seats with: two-position memory function (driver), six-way power adjustment (passenger), 10-way power adjustment (driver) and heating function
- Active Driving Display (windscreen)
- Seat trim: Black leather or Pure white leather
- Premium Bose 249 watt amplifier and 10 speakers (including subwoofer)
2017 Mazda CX-5 Akera (in addition to GT)
- Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) with Stop/Go function
- Adaptive LED Headlamps (ALH)
- Driver Attention Alert (DAA)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Lane-keep Assist System (LAS)
- Side camera
- Smart Brake Support (SBS)