Mitsubishi Motors Australia Limited (MMAL) sent the sales records tumbling in 2009, with a host of “best ever” results both on a calendar year basis, as well as on a year-on-year basis.
Mr Robert McEniry, president and CEO of Mitsubishi, said the strong sales results were directly attributable to “product, perseverance and performance” and praised the contribution of the company’s dealers and staff.
“We have a great product line-up, we are determined to succeed, and our employees and dealer network continue to perform at astonishing levels to ensure Mitsubishi’s success,” Mr McEniry said.
Calendar year sales for the company totalled 56,998 units, a decrease of 6.1 per cent over total sales for 2008, but well ahead of the market decline of 7.4 per cent. Imported vehicle sales for the company showed an even better result, with a difference of just 0.8 per cent from the previous year.
Year-on-year sales were outstanding, with the company recording 6,808 sales during December, an increase of a whopping 60 per cent on December 2008 sales. Market share for December was 7.7 per cent, compared to 5.5 per cent the previous year.
Mitsubishi’s overall 2009 market share remained steady, with the company registering a slight increase to 6.1 per cent during the year.
Calendar year records achieved by Mitsubishi during 2009 included:
- Best ever annual result for Lancer with 21,362 sales
- Best ever annual result for Triton 4x4 with 10,557 sales
- Best ever annual result for Triton 4x2 with 7,625 sales
Year-on-year records achieved by Mitsubishi during December included:
- Best December on record for imported vehicles with 6,808 sales
- December 2009 up 60 per cent on December 2008
- Best December market share in five years at 7.7 per cent
- Best December on record for Outlander with 877 sales
- Best December on record for Triton 4x4 with 1,407 sales
- Best December on record for Triton 4x2 with 1,044 sales
- Best December since 2000 for Lancer with 2,268 sales
- Best December since 1995 for Express with 295 sales