The updated 2016 Skoda Octavia wagon and sedan range has arrived in Australia, bolstering the Czech company’s value offering even further.
Fresh off the back of a record sales month in May, the revised Skoda Octavia offering adds up to $4300 worth of claimed extra specification for recommended retail price increases of as little as $500, or $1000 on a drive-away basis.
The big-ticket item is the Ambition base variant, which amalgamates the previous Ambition and Ambition Plus variants into one, since the base car previously didn’t sell in any significant numbers. The Style and RS derivatives do not get such significant tweaks.
Pictured: Octavia Ambition sedan with Sports Pack
The $22,990 (plus on-road costs) Ambition is $500 more expensive than the old version, but gets standard features such as adaptive cruise control, autonomous braking, reversing camera with rear sensors, Smartlink (Apple CarPlay/Android Auto), 17-inch alloy wheels and a 6.5-inch touchscreen hooked up to a bigger eight-speaker sound system.
Pricing on the other grades is up a few hundred bucks, but the added value is up by $1040 and $3160 on the Style and RS respectively. Full specification breakdowns of all spec levels are listed below. It's the second range-wide update and price rise inside 12 months, following this one.
This revised entry equation, and the Octavia’s size (about mid-way between the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6), leads Skoda Australia to claim “there simply is not a serious rival” to its offering in terms of metal and equipment for the money, notably at the lower end.
Pictured: Ambition wagon
The revised front-wheel-drive Octavia range comes in three variants: the Ambition, Style and the top-selling RS performance derivatives — the latter of which are Skoda’s single top-selling models.
There remain two petrol engines (110TSI and 162TSI) and two diesels (110TDI and 135TDI), matched to either six or seven-speed DSG automatics, and on some versions also a six-speed manual.
Across all specification levels, the wagon costs an extra $1700 over the liftback sedan, but increases cargo capacity — seats-up from 568 litres to 588L, and seats-down 1558L to 1718L. Both of these figures go well beyond the average small car or medium SUV.
Skoda Australia also talks up its ownership costs. A three-year care package ($1899 Ambition and Style, and $2099 on the RS at purchase) gives you three-years/45,000km of servicing and a two-year extended warranty. Set and forget.
Based on its capped servicing plan (three years/45,000km), you drive an average of 14,100km, and factoring in the pricier 95 RON fuel Skoda’s economical turbo engines favour, the company claims the Octavia is cheaper to run over that period than a Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus or Mazda 3, let alone a Subaru Liberty or Mazda 6.
MY17 Skoda Octavia engines:
110TSI 1.4 turbo petrol — Ambition and Style
- 110kW at 6000rpm/250Nm between 1500 and 3500rpm
- 0-100km/h time between 8.1 seconds and 8.3s
- Combined-cycle 95 RON fuel consumption between 5.2L/100km and 5.4L/100km
- Six-speed manual or seven-speed DSG depending on spec
110TDI 2.0 turbo diesel — Style
- 110kW at 4000rpm/320Nm between 1750 and 3000rpm
- 0-100km/h time between 8.5s and 8.7s
- Combined-cycle diesel fuel consumption 4.7L/100km
- Six-speed DSG
162TSI 2.0 turbo petrol — RS
- 162kW at 6200rpm/350Nm between 1500 and 4400rpm
- 0-100km/h time between 6.8s and 7.1s
- Combined-cycle 98 RON fuel consumption between 6.4L/100km and 6.8L/100km
- Six-speed manual or six-speed DSG
135TDI 2.0 turbo diesel — RS
- 135kW at 4000rpm/380Nm between 1750 and 3000rpm
- 0-100km/h time between 8.2s and 8.3s
- Combined-cycle diesel fuel consumption between 4.8L/100km and 4.9L/100km
- Six-speed DSG
Skoda Octavia Ambition
110TSI manual — $22,990 ($24,490 drive-away)110TSI DSG — $25,290 ($26,790 drive-away)Wagon body costs an additional $1700
- 17-inch alloys (new)
- Seven airbags
- Autonomous braking (new)
- Reversing camera (new)
- Rear parking sensors
- 6.5-inch touchscreen (new)
- Eight-speaker sound (new)
- Apple CarPlay/Android Auto (new)
- Adaptive radar cruise (new)
- Multifunction leather steering wheel
Skoda Octavia Style (in addition to Ambition)
110TSI DSG — $33,790 ($37,790 drive-away)110TDI DSG — $36,890 ($39,890 drive-away)Wagon body costs an additional $1700
- 18-inch alloys
- Nine airbags
- Leather seats
- Privacy glass
- Chrome window frames
- Bi-Xenon cornering headlights with LED DRLs (new)
- Front sensors
- 8.0-inch touchsceen with sat-nav
- Colour trip computer
- Light assist and rain sensor
- Dual-zone climate control
- Rear LEDs (new)
- Flat-bottom steering wheel (new)
Skoda Octavia RS (in addition to Style)
162TSI manual — $37,890 ($40,990 drive-away)162TSI DSG — $40,190 ($43,290 drive-away)135TDI DSG — $41,290 ($44,390 drive-away)
Wagon body costs an additional $1700
- 18-inch alloys
- Sports seats with leather/fabric
- Driving mode select system
- Sports chassis with XDL in-corner braking
- Progressive steering rack
- Paddle shifters
Sports Pack on Ambition only (65 per cent buyer take up at launch)
- Bi-Xenons with LED DRLs
- 18-inch black alloys
- Sports suspension
- Black decals
- Light assist and rains sensor
- Sports steering wheel
- Privacy glass
- $3200 Ambition, $1900 Style, $1700 RS
- 8.0-inch touchscreen with sat-nav (Ambition)
- Automatic parking (Ambition, Style and RS)
- Lane Assist (Ambition, Style and RS)
- Keyless go (Style and RS)
- 10-speaker Canton sound system (Ambition, Style and RS)
- Driving mode selector (Ambition and Style)
- Voice control (Ambition)
- Metallic/Pearl paint — $500
- Sunroof — $1500 sedan, $1700 wagon
- Automatic electric boot — $490 wagon