Gympie-based company Performax International, the biggest importer and converter of US-built passenger vehicles, has produced the world's first right-hand drive version of new 2010 Chevrolet Camaro.
"We understand this is the first RHD 2010 Camaro built anywhere in the world and we're proud to be bringing such an eagerly-awaited new car with an iconic badge back to Australia," Performax International General Manager Nicholas Vandenberg said.
The recommended variant is the range-topping Camaro SS with a 6.2-litre LS3 V8, which will retail for $139,000 driveaway, other variants can be ordered with the Camaro range starting from $129,000.
The story for the RHD Camaro began some time ago, CarAdvice brought you pictures of the car undergoing development a few months back as Performax International obtained one of the very first Camaros that went on sale in the US to begin conversion work.
The company has been behind right-hand drive conversions for over two decades and uses the latest in Computer Aided Design technology to perfect the process.
For those interested, the conversion process starts with a three-dimensional computer scan of parts that need to be reproduced for right-hand drive, for example the dashboard. On the computer the scans are reverse-engineered and solid plastic prototypes produced by a three-dimensional printer. The final result in almost indifferent to the original part.
Legendary driver Kevin Bartlett had tested the car prior to its launch on the Gold Coast today. Bartlett, who CarAdvice readers may recall road tested an Aston Martin DBS with us earlier this year, said "you can't pick that it hasn't come straight from the factory. There's no compromise, none, it's just done the way you would want your own car to be."
Chevrolet Camaro SS main features
- Engine: 6.2-litre LS3 V8, producing 318 kW @ 5900 rpm, 570 Nm @ 4600 rpm
- Transmission: Tremec 6-speed manual; rear drive
- Suspension: All-independent
- Brakes: Brembo discs with 4-piston alloy calipers
- Wheels, tyres: Z-rated front 245/45/20, rear 275/40/20
- Kerb weight: 1746 kg
- Safety: StabiliTrack electronic stability control, traction control, anti-lock brakes, front/side/curtain airbags, tyre pressure monitors, rear park assist
- Interior: Leather seating with 6-way power driver adjustment, Boston Acoustic 9-speaker stereo, climate control, cruise control, Bluetooth, leather steering wheel and shift knob