Mazda CX-9 Launched
Despite the Happy Face portfolio, Mazda seems to be doing everything perfectly at the moment. Who ever is in charge of Mazda designs needs to be given a raise as there is not even one remotely unlovable model in the company's stable.
Today sees the release of the refreshed 7-seat Mazda SUV, the Mazda CX-9. Apart from the exterior facelift, Mazda has tinkered with the engine to produce an improved fuel economy figure of 12.2L per 100km (previously 13.0L) and has an improved CO2 emission rating to 291g/km (was 309).
The new Mazda CX-9 starts from $49,990 and is available in three models: Classic, Luxury and the all-new Grand Touring.
Mazda has reduced the price of the revised CX-9 with the Classic model now $2,000 cheaper than the equivalent outgoing model and Luxury $3,115 less.
The facelift comes right on schedule with the CX-9 being out for 22 months. The Mazda CX-9 sits above the CX-7 as Mazda's largest vehicle with approximately 70,000 CX-9s sold worldwide so far (~7,500 in Australia). Despite the similarities, the CX-9 does not share the same platform as the CX-7.
From the outside the facelifted Mazda CX?9 shows off a bolder and more sophisticated design with Mazda focusing on putting on the five point grille ‘family face’ (a.k.a happy face). As a result of the new design the Coefficient drag has also been reduced to 0.365 (was 0.37).
The new range includes a whole list of additional equipment upgrades such as satellite Navigation (available as an option on CX?9 Luxury and standard on CX?9 Grand Touring), Bluetooth® functionality, heated 3?position memory side mirrors, smart keyless entry and engine start and remote operated power tailgate with open/close (depending on grade)
Engine wise little has changed with the CX?9’s 3.7 litre V6 24?valve DOHC petrol engine still producing 204kW @ 6,250rpm and 367Nm of torque @ 4,250rpm. The V6 is coupled to a 6-speed Activematic transmission which drives the wheels via Mazda’s on-demand Active Torque Split (ATS) all-wheel drive system. It will go from 0-100km/h in 8.5 seconds.
Safety has always been at the very top of Mazda's design philosophy, hence the facelift CX-9 carries through all the active and passive safety technologies including: ABS, DSC, TCS, RSC, EBA, EBD, and 6 SRS airbags. However front active head restraints are now standard across the range.
Mazda has also retuned the front suspension for improved ride and comfort.
Standard features across the range include three-zone climate control air-conditioning, alloy wheels, cruise control and power windows and mirrors, MP3/WMA compatible CD player, a reversing camera with rear parking guidelines.
Mazda Australia expects to sell around 260 CX?9’s per month with the following model split (lifecycle
- Mazda CX?9 Classic 26%
- Mazda CX?9 Luxury 60%
- Mazda CX?9 Grand Touring 14%
Mazda CX?9 Classic, from $49,990 (Manufacturer List Price)
Mazda CX-9 specifications
- - 3.7 litre V6 24 valve DOHC S?VT engine
- - 204kW and 367Nm
- - 76L fuel tank
- - 91 RON regular unleaded petrol
- - fuel economy of 12.2L/100km (was 13.0)
- - CO2 emission rating of 291g/km (was 309)
- - Coefficient of drag of 0.365 (was 0.37)
- - Active Torque Split all?wheel drive ATS system
- - 6?speed Activematic
- - front (driver and passenger), side (front) and curtain (front and rear) SRS airbags
- - ABS, TSC, EBD, EBA, RSC
- - Front Active head restraints
- - 4.3 inch full colour LCD display with:
- • reversing camera
- • AM/FM tuner
- • 6?disc CD player (MP3/WMA compatible)
- • auxiliary input for MP3 player
- - seating for up to 7 adults plus luggage
- - new high?quality soft?touch cloth seat trim – Nagare inspired
- - three?zone climate control air?conditioning
- - auto on/off headlamps and rain?sensing wipers
- - double?opening centre console
- - power windows and mirrors
- - remote keyless entry
- - 18 inch alloy wheels
- - halogen headlamps
- - body coloured exterior door handles
CX?9 Luxury, from $56,990 (Manufacturer List Price)
CX?9 Classic plus:
- - heated door mirrors with 3?position memory function and reverse tilt?down function
- - power?sliding glass sun?roof
- - front seats with:
- • 3?position memory function (driver)
- • 4?way power adjustment (passenger)
- • 8?way power adjustment (driver)
- • heating function (driver and passenger)
- • seat base tilt adjustment (driver)
- - new high?quality black leather seat trim
- - premium Bose® amplifier and 10 speakers (with subwoofer)
- - 20 inch alloy wheels
- - chrome exterior door handles
CX?9 Luxury with Sat Nav, from $60,313 (Manufacturer List Price)
CX?9 Luxury plus:
- ? 7 inch touch screen satellite navigation with:
- • Bluetooth® (hands?free compatible) with audio profile
- • Bluetooth® audio (MP3 player compatible)
- • reversing camera
- • single?disc CD player (MP3/WMA compatible)
CX?9 Luxury Grand Touring, from $63,186 (Manufacturer List Price)
CX?9 Luxury with Satellite Navigation plus:
- - xenon headlamps
- - remote operated power tailgate (open/close)
- - smart keyless entry and engine start