Nevertheless, the engine of the year award is only one award of many that were handed out. The 1.5L Hybrid engine powering the Toyota Prius won the Best Fuel Economy award. Awards given for engine capacity are listed below :
- Less than 1 L: Honda 995cc IMA hybrid unit used in Honda Insight
- 1-1.4 L: Volkswagen 1.4-liter TSI twincharger engine used in the VW Golf
- 1.4-1.8 L: Toyota 1.5-liter Hybrid Synergy Drive used in the Toyota Prius
- 1.8-2 L: Volkswagen 2-liter FSI Turbo. The engine is used in the VW Golf GTI, Audi A3, Audi A4, Audi A6, Skoda Octavia and Seat Leon
- 2-2.5 L: Subaru 2.5-liter Turbo. The engine is used in the Subaru Forester, Subaru Impreza and Saab 9-2X
- 2.5-3 L: BMW 3-liter twin-turbo diesel used in the BMW 535d
- 3-4 L: BMW 3.2-liter. The engine is used in the BMW M3 and BMW M Z4
- Above 4 L: BMW V10 5-liter. The engine is used in the BMW M5 and BMW M6.
Good to see the likes of Volkwagen Turbo charged 2.0L engine up there, the Golf GTi and the Audi A4 are both blessed with this engine - However I really wonder how the Mitsubishi Evo's 2.0 Litre Engine is not listed! Also the Subaru 2.5 L engine that powers the Impreza WRX and STi is a sure winner in it's category.