The Hyundai i30 line-up now kicks off with the Active base model, while a new Active X variant builds upon that specification with some extra niceties, and is tipped to take the majority of sales - 50 per cent, by Hyundai's estimates.
There’s no Elite version anymore, with the sportier looking SR taking its place with a new lower price and less standard equipment (due to the addition of the SR Premium). The SR Premium is the flagship petrol version and the Premium is the top-dog in the diesel ranks.
See below for a detailed breakdown on the model line-up and inclusions for each variant - including pricing changes.
Inside, there’s a new media system in the entry-level models – it’s a 5.0-inch touchscreen with Pandora internet radio capability as well as Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity. The screen also doubles as a display for the now-standard reverse-view camera, which is complemented by rear parking sensors on all models.
Audiophiles may be disappointed to learn that the existing CD player has been scrapped in Active and Active X models - but it remains in SR, SR Premium and Premium model lines, which are fitted with the carryover 7.0-inch media screen with satellite navigation.
As is the case with all Hyundai models sold in Australia, the company’s local arm has fettled the steering and suspension of the i30 Series II. The i30 SR is said to feature a bespoke sports suspension tune “delivering sharp, responsive turn-in and improved handling”.
Under the bonnet there’s no sign of the hotly anticipated 1.6-litre four-cylinder turbo petrol engine – well, not yet.
The existing 1.8-litre “Nu” engine remains as the mainstay of the range, producing 107kW of power and 175Nm of torque. It can be had with a six-speed manual or six-speed auto, and fuel use is rated at 7.0 litres per 100km for the manual or 7.3L/100km for the auto.
The 2.0-litre four-cylinder “Nu” engine is standard fitment on SR models, and with the larger engine comes enhanced performance. It pushes out 124kW and 201Nm, and can also be had with a six-speed manual or six-speed auto transmission. Fuel consumption is claimed at 7.3L/100km (manual) or 7.7L/100km (auto).
It’s not all carryover drivetrains, though.
The brand has taken the opportunity to update its engine range, including a new 1.6-litre four-cylinder turbo diesel drivetrain. It produces 100kW of power (up 4kW over the Series I diesel) and either 260Nm of torque for the six-speed manual or 300Nm in the new seven-speed dual-clutch version. The manual is the most frugal i30, using just 4.6L/100km; the dual-clutch auto uses 4.9L/100km – a drop of 0.7L over the existing six-speed diesel auto.
Stay tuned for our local launch review of the 2015 Hyundai i30 Series II.
2015 Hyundai i30 Series II specifications by model:
- 7 airbags - driver & front passenger, driver & front passenger side (thorax), full length curtains, driver’s knee
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) including: Traction Control System (TCS), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist System (BAS), Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- Rear parking assist system (4 sensors)
- Rear-view camera
- 16-inch steel wheels with 205/55R16 tyres
- Keyless entry with burglar alarm
- 5.0-inch touchscreen audio system with MP3 capability, 6 speakers, media ripping/storage and Pandora® internet radio capability via tethering with smartphone
- AUX / USB audio input with digital iPod® compatibility. Bluetooth connectivity (hands-free phone & audio streaming)
- Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
- Cruise control with steering wheel-mounted controls
- Front & rear power windows
- Height-adjustable driver’s seat
- One-touch turn signal operation (3, 5, or 7 flashes)
- One-touch window-down on driver’s window
- Tilt & telescopic steering column
- Trip computer
- Cloth interior
- LED high-mount stoplight
- Manual air-conditioning with rear heating ducts
- 60:40 split-folding rear seats
Active X (above Active):
- 16-inch alloy wheels with machined-face finish and gunmetal-grey inserts
- Leather-appointed interior trim
- Premium steering wheel, gearknob, door trim and instruments panel hood
- Electric folding exterior mirrors with side repeaters
- Alloy-look interior doorhandles
- Illuminated sun visors, ambient lighting for the front centre console storage area and driver’s seat back pocket
SR (above Active X):
- 2.0 GDi petrol engine (+17kW & 26Nm over 1.8 MPi)
- 17-inch alloy wheels in gunmetal grey finish with 225/45R17 tyres
- LED daytime running lights
- LED tail-lights with bulb turn signal & reverse lights
- Sports front grille in gunmetal grey with satin chrome highlights
- Rear bumper lower diffuser in matte black (exclusive to SR models)
- Automatic dusk-sensing headlights
- 7.0-inch touchscreen satellite-navigation system with CD player & 3 years’ HERE MapCareTM
- Dual-zone climate-control with automatic windscreen defog function
- Proximity smart key with push-button start
- Electric folding external mirrors with integrated LED side repeater lights
- Alloy look interior door handles
- Alloy sports pedals
- Premium gearknob and steering wheel
- Illuminated door handles, puddle lights, and sun visors
Premium and SR Premium (above SR):
- High Intensity Discharge (HID) Xenon headlights with washer system and auto-levelling
- Electrochromatic auto-dimming interior mirror
- Electrically adjusted driver’s seat (10-way)
- Electronic Park-Brake (EPB)
- Heated and air-ventilated front seats
- Leather upholstery
- Rear-seat cooling vents in centre console
- Rear-seat centre armrest
- Chrome belt-line moulding
- Panoramic glass sunroof
- Cargo net
- One-touch window up/down function on all windows
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Sun visor extensions
- Supervision cluster with colour TFT LCD display
2015 Hyundai i30 Series II manufacturer’s list pricing, plus on-road costs (changes denoted in brackets)
Active petrol manual - $20,990 (no change)
Active petrol auto - $23,290 (+$50)
Active diesel manual - $23,590 (no change)
Active diesel auto - $25,890 (+$50)
Active X petrol manual - $22,090 (new variant)
Active X petrol auto - $24,390 (new variant)
Active X diesel manual - $24,690 (new variant)
Active X diesel auto - $26,990 (new variant)
SR petrol manual - $25,590 (-$2400)
SR petrol auto - $27,890 (-$2300)
SR Premium petrol manual - $30,590 (new variant)
SR Premium petrol auto - $32,890 (new variant)
Premium diesel auto - $34,490 (+$1400)
2015 Hyundai i30 Series II promotional driveaway pricing for April 2015:
Active petrol manual - $19,990
Active petrol auto - $21,990
Active diesel manual - $23,990
Active diesel auto - $25,990
Active X petrol manual - $21,490
Active X petrol auto - $22,990
Active X diesel manual - $24,990
Active X diesel auto - $26,990
Premium diesel auto - $33,990
Click the Photos tab above for more images of the 2015 Hyundai i30 Series II.