The Holden VF Commodore and Holden WN Caprice have been recalled for a fifth time in less than three months.
The most recent recall affects 25,055 vehicles in Australia, and according to Holden has been discovered as part of an internal investigation.
According to the company: “A condition has been identified where certain VF Commodore and WN Caprice vehicles may have been built with an incomplete weld on the front seat hook bracket assembly. In an accident, if the weld is incomplete, the seat hook may separate from the seat track increasing the risk of occupant injury.”
Holden said that no accidents or injuries have been reported as a result of the problem. The vehicles affected were built between February 7, 2013 and May 22, 2014.
Holden product communications manager Mark Flintoft said the recall is being initiated by the brand as it tries to take a more proactive approach.
“At the end of the day, safety is the priority. We just want to make sure we get them sorted. We are being cautious with them, we’ve taken a proactive stance,” he said.
Flintoft indicated that in some instances, the previously recalled vehicles will have multiple assessments and fixes performed in one visit to the dealer.
“We’ve captured them in one go where we can,” he said.
Holden says it will contact all potentially affected customers directly. The cars will be be required for a short period of time for workshops to inspect the required welds “and if they are found not to meet specification, the seat base assembly will be replaced free-of-charge”.
As mentioned, the recall is the fifth for the VF Commodore and WN Caprice since May 2014. The other recalls included one affecting 40,000 cars over a wiring fault in late May; a second for a windscreen wiper fault in June (27,000 cars affected); while the company issued two recalls for LPG-powered models affecting more than 3000 cars in early July.