Holden initially recalled about 600 Cruzes in September over the same issue, but has now expanded the build range to include all 1.8-litre manuals produced locally between October 18, 2012 and March 7, 2014.
A Holden spokeswoman confirmed customers who had the recall completed last year would be required to take their cars to dealerships again to complete the same recall with an updated component.
The recall involves replacing the right front axle half shaft of the vehicles, which can fracture and separate without warning during normal driving.
“The interconnecting tubular bar on the front right axle half shaft on some of these vehicles may not meet GM specification and could fracture and separate,” the car maker said in a statement.
“If this occurs while driving the vehicle, steering and braking control would be maintained. However, the vehicle would lose power to the wheels and would coast to a stop.
“If a vehicle with a fractured half shaft is parked on an incline without the parking brake applied, the vehicle could move unexpectedly, resulting in a possible crash or injury to pedestrians.”
The spokeswoman said the company had received 39 reports of the defect from local customers – though none from owners of vehicles that were recalled and repaired last year – but is not aware of any accidents or injuries related to the issue.
Affected customers will be contacted by Holden and are encouraged to contact their nearest dealer to arrange the recall service, which will be conducted free of charge.