The first all-new Ford Mustang in eight years will be simultaneously revealed across four continents, including Australia, on December 5, a month out from its public debut at the 2014 Detroit auto show.
Celebrating 50 years of production in 2014, the sixth-generation Ford Mustang will debut in six cities next month including Dearborn, Michigan; New York; Los Angeles; Barcelona; Shanghai; and Sydney.
Ford global marketing executive vice president Jim Farley said the iconic pony car has come to be much more than just a car for its legions of fans across the globe.
“With a new design and greater refinement, world-class power and performance plus innovative new technologies, Mustang is ready for the next 50 years,” Farley said.
To count down to the full reveal, Ford has partnered with Facebook and Instagram in a 15-day campaign designed to showcase what ‘Mustang’ has meant to its fans over the past 50 years, starting with the car’s first official teaser image (pictured top).
"There is no better way to build excitement for what’s next than by encouraging even more sharing of the Mustang story through these very personal, emotional mediums,” Farley said.
Teased last month in computer-generated images (pictured bottom), the new Ford Mustang is set to start production around July before arriving in Australia from 2015 when the American classic will fill the role of Ford Australia’s local hero car following the demise of the Falcon – including the recently announced reborn XR8 – in 2016.
Employing independent rear suspension for the first time – rather than its previous live rear axle – the new Mustang will be powered by an uprated supercharged 5.0-litre ‘Coyote’ V8, a 3.7-litre V6 and an all-new turbocharged 2.3-litre EcoBoost four-cylinder petrol engine – the latter debuting in the new, Kuga-based, 205kW/406Nm Lincoln MKC at today’s Los Angeles motor show.
Ford Australia will announce more details of the local Mustang unveiling closer to the event.