Whilst in many everyday sedans trying to have a conversation with your passengers at 200km/hr might present slight audible problems, Mercedes claims the new Roadster will allow for conversation at speeds well over 200 km/h on open-air journeys thanks to the favourable aeroacoustics.
The roof opens and closes semi-automatically in less than ten seconds, thereby combining the desire for convenience with the puristic character of the roadster. To open, the roof merely needs to be unlocked from the windscreen frame and be briefly raised, after which it folds away electrically.
Anyway, enough of the convinience factors, you don't buy a car like this to have a conversation at 200km/hr about how great the flower show was yesterday, you buy this car because it is an ultimate supercar.
The car is set out with a front-mid-engine setup for optimum weight distribution. With 460 kW and a maximum torque of 780 Nm, the AMG V8 kompressor engine, which is coupled to an AMG Speedshift R five-speed automatic transmission, accelerates the Roadster from 0-100 km/h in 3.8 seconds.
If your going to get from 0-100 in less than four seconds (and you've spent a bucket load of cash), you can expect a high degree of safety. The SLR McLaren Roadster is protected via
- unique carbon-fibre crash elements,
- steel-reinforced A-pillars
- two fixed roll-over bars.
- adaptive airbags,
- knee and side airbags
- seat belt tensioners
- tyre-pressure monitoring system.
The car also comes with the latest in gadgetry:
- semi-aniline-leather-upholstered carbon-fibre bucket seats which can be individually adapted to the driver and front passenger by means of differently sized seat pads;
- dual-zone automatic air-conditioning;
- a high-quality BOSE premium sound system;
- a multifunction sport steering wheel with gear-change paddles,
- navigation system with integral radio and CD player.
The new Mercedes-Benz SLR Roadster, like the coupé, is produced at McLaren's Formula 1 factory in Woking, England. The Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren Roadster will be available overseas from September 2007. Australian release date is not yet confirmed, but it is coming!