Imagine for one second if an Australian car company ever said that? There would be hell to pay. Thankfully, the Germans love their cars mixed with speed. Lots of speed.
Currently there are three other Apollos, the standard apollo, apollo sport and apollo race. The speed is for those of us that really, really, just can't stand speed limits. It's purpose is to go as fast as possible and with a top speed of 360km/h, it's nothing short of breathtaking.
It sits just 1,105mm of the ground, comes with new wheel arches, redesigned tail lights and a tiny adjustable spoiler to make sure it doesn't take off when its accelerating.
As for the engine? Do you have to ask! The Apollo Speed is powered by a 8 cylinder Biturbo monster. It starts at 485kW and 850Nm of torque, if that's not enough you can pay a bit more and get 515 kW and 875 Nm of troque... still not happy? Well, how about 596 kW and 900 Nm of torque? It doesn't seem to matter - the Apollo is king.
Interior is covered with either leather or Alcantara and you even get such advanced features as air conditioning! In order to get in, the steering wheel comes off, once you've actually made your way inside, a 4 point seat belt will make sure nothing is left of you if you have an accident at top speed.
If you don't mind listening to a bit of German, here is an interesting video on how the Gumpert is built.
The high-output version can go from a standstill to 100km/h in 3.0 seconds and reach 200km/h in just 8.9 seconds.
Gumpert is a German company based in Altenburg / Thuringia, Germany. The German brand was founded by former Audi Sports department manager Roland Gumpert who was in charge of 25 victories in World Championship races and 4 Rallye World Championship titles.
Prices for the GUMPERT apollo with a 4.2 l Biturbo engine start at just $595,00 (EUR 301,600).
- GUMPERT apollo speed (515kw variant)
- Transmission: sequential six-speed gearbox with synchronisation and oil cooling, twin plate clutch configuration (diameter 2 x 200 mm), rear-wheel drive, differential lock by Torsen
- Chassis: long and pushrod-operated double transverse control arm suspension with fully adjustable dampers front and rear and anti roll bar in front
- Brakes: two circuit BOSCH-ABS brake system with six piston callipers, inside ventilated discs (378 x 32 mm) all around
- Wheels & Tires: Aluminium cast wheels with centre look front: 255/35 ZR19 rear: 345/35 ZR19
- Dry weight: 1.200 kg (For cars with standard equipment without filling. Special equipment may increase this value.)
- Allowed total weight: 1,500 kg
- Length: 4,460 mm
- Width: 1,998 mm
- Height: 1,105 mm
- Wheel base: 2,700 mm
- Wheel gauge: front: 1,670 mm, rear: 1,598 mm
- Tank capacity: 120 litre
- Engine: V8-cylinder-Biturbomotor with 90o cylinder angle, light metal cylinder heads with 5 valves per cylinder, four overhead camshafts, hydraulic valve clearance compensation, double-flow exhaust system with three-way catalytic converter, dry sump lubrication
- Cubic capacity: 4,163 cm3
- Engine performance: 515 kW (700 HP) at 6.500 rev/min
- Maximum torque: 875 Nm at 4.000 rev/min
- Litre performance: 123,7 kW/Litre (168 HP/Litre)
- Maximum rev.: 7,200 rev/min
- Top speed: > 360 km/h / 224 mph (Depeding on equipment, county related specification, gear ratio and engine power)
- Acceleration figures: 0-100 km/h in 3,0 s
- 0-200 km/h in 8,9 s