The Aston Martin Vanquish Volante has been unveiled today with a $500K-plus price tag.
The $510,040 Vanquish Volante becomes the flagship model in the luxury British car maker’s sports car line-up, sitting above the $472,840 Vanquish Coupe.
Boasting the same 421kW/620Nm 6.0-litre V12 engine as the coupe and the same performance figures, the Vanquish Volante is able to dispatch with the 0-100km/h sprint in 4.1 seconds while its top speed stands at 295km/h.
The Volante likewise employs the six-speed automatic ‘Touchtronic 2’ transmission to send power to the rear wheels.
The Vanquish Volante is also the first Volante modelin the brand’s 100-year history to feature a full carbonfibre body, while also being the stiffest open-top structure ever created by Aston Martin.
The car’s triple-skin lightweight fabric roof takes just 14 seconds to fold and sits beneath a tonneau and decklid that have been aerodynamically tuned for high-speed performance.
In another first for Aston Martin, the Vanquish Volante’s windscreen is now full height – meaning the glass runs up to meet the fabric roof, achieving a clean visual transition.
Like its coupe sibling, the Vanquish Volante uses Aston’s Gen-4 VH architecture that’s 14 per cent stiffer than the previous DBS Volante.
The car’s dynamics have also been specialty tuned, with new springs and damper settings calibrated to deliver the same precise handling and compliance as the Vanquish Coupe.
Despite the lightweight carbonfibre body panels, the Vanquish Volante has a dry weight of 1844kg, but achieves a near-perfect 51:49 weight distribution.
The Volante also gets Aston Martin’s Adaptive Damping System (ADS) allowing the driver to switch between three different damping modes: Normal, Sport and Track.
The damper settings are determined by an ECU that takes sensor readings from a number of the car’s systems including throttle position, brake position, steering wheel rotation and vehicle speed.
The Volante also boasts the same quick 15:1 steering ratio as the coupe with 2.6 turns lock-to-lock.
The braking system features third-generation Brembo Carbon Ceramic Matrix (CCM) parts that are lighter than a conventional system and importantly reduce the car’s unsprung weight.
Up front are 398mm CCM discs with six-piston calipers, while the rear brakes use 360mm with four pots.
The Volante sits on 20-inch forged alloy wheels shod with 305/30-series Pirelli tyres down back and 255/35 up front.
Inside, the 2+2 Vanquish Volante gets a suite of carbonfibre panels, along with full grain Luxmill leather with optional quilting, metal switchgear and satin chrome trim.
Like its coupe sibling, the Volante also gains the One-77-derived centre stack, but retains familiar elements such as the glass ECU engine start button and gear selection buttons.
There’s an extensive list of standard features including Alcantara headlining, 1000-watt Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 15-speaker audio system, satellite navigation with 6.5-inch LCD screen, Bluetooth phone and audio streaming, and Wi-Fi Hub5.
The first deliveries of the new Vanquish Volante are expected to begin in the UK and Continental Europe late in 2013.
A delivery date for Australia is yet to be confirmed.
Aston Martin Vanquish Volante specification
• Two-door Volante style with 2+2 seating
• New generation bonded aluminium and carbon fibre VH structure
• Aluminium, magnesium alloy and carbon-fibre composite body
• Extruded aluminium door side-impact beams
• Single bi-xenon headlamps with LED sidelights
• LED light blade rear lamps and LED side repeaters
• All-alloy, independent quad variable camshaft timing, 48-valve, 5,935 cc V12
• Compression ratio 11.0:1
• Front-mid mounted engine, rear-wheel drive
• Fully catalysed stainless steel exhaust system with active bypass valves
• Six three-way catalytic convertors
• Max power: 573 PS (565 bhp) at 6,750 rpm
• Max torque: 620 Nm (457 lb ft) at 5,500 rpm
• Acceleration: 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 4.1 seconds (estimated)
• Max speed: 295 km/h (183 mph)
• Rear-mid mounted, six-speed Touchtronic 2 automatic/sequential manual gearbox
• Alloy torque tube with carbon fibre propeller shaft
• Limited-slip differential
Wheels and Tyres
• Front: 9J x 20’’ Pirelli P Zero 255/35 ZR20
• Rear: 11.5J x 20’’ Pirelli P Zero 305/30 ZR20
• Speed-dependent electronically controlled rack and pinion power-assisted steering, 2.6 turns lock-to-lock. Column tilt and reach adjustment
• Lightweight aluminium front subframe with hollow castings
• Front: Independent double wishbone incorporating anti-dive geometry, coil springs, anti-roll bar and monotube adaptive dampers
• Rear: Independent double wishbones with anti-squat and anti-lift geometry, coil springs, anti-roll bar and monotube adaptive dampers
• Three-stage adjustable Adaptive Damping System (ADS) with Normal, Sport and Track modes
• Front: Ventilated carbon ceramic discs, 398mm diameter with six-piston calipers
• Rear: Ventilated carbon ceramic discs, 360mm diameter with four-piston calipers
• Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) with Track mode
• Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
• Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
• Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
• Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)
• Positive Torque Control (PTC)
• Traction Control
• Launch Control
4728mm (inc. front number plate plinth) Wheelbase: 2740mm
2067mm (inc. mirrors) Fuel tank capacity: 78 litres (17.2 Imp.galls, 20.5 US galls)
1294mm Weight: 1844 kg
• Full-grain Luxmil leather interior
• Alcantara headlining
• Electrically operated front seats with side airbags
• Memory front seats and exterior mirrors (three memory positions)
• 2+2 seating configuration with flexible rear environment storage
• Powerfold exterior heated mirrors
• Front and rear parking sensors
• Cruise control
• Tyre pressure monitoring
• Alarm and immobiliser
• Remote-control central door locking and boot release
• Automatic temperature control
• Heated front seats
• Curtain side head airbags
• Dual Stage Driver and Passenger Front Airbags
• Pelvis and thorax seat-mounted airbags
• Seat belt dual-pretensioners and digressive load limiters
• Trip computer
• Tracking device (UK only)
• Laminated windscreen with clear noise-insulation layer
• Glass key
• Heated rear glass screen
• Bright aluminium front grille
• Chrome side strakes and tailpipe trim
• Infotainment system with capacitive switching
• 1000W Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 15-speaker audio system
• Garmin satellite navigation system*+
• 6.5” LCD Screen
• iPod® and iPhone® Integration and USB playback
• Satellite radio system (USA only)
• DAB/AM/FM radio1
• A2DP Bluetooth® audio and phone streaming
• Wi-Fi Hub5
• Ten-spoke alloy wheel in a Graphite finish
• 20-spoke alloy wheel in a Liquid Silver, Silver finish with diamond-turning, Graphite finish with diamond-turning, Gloss Black with diamond turning and Satin Black with diamond-turning finish.
• Black vaned grille
• Magnum Silver or Black mesh finish
• Black textured tailpipe
• Black, blue, yellow and red brake calipers
• Exposed carbon fibre side strakes
• Exposed carbon fibre door handles
• Protective film
• Colour-keyed Luxmil leather steering wheel
• Colour-keyed One-77 leather steering wheel with Obsidian Black leather inserts
• Centre-stack facia in carbon fibre 2×2 twill & Piano Black (Herringbone Carbon Fibre, Piano Red and Piano Ice Mocha).
• Headrest embroidery – AM Wings
• Black hardware pack
• Full carbon fibre gearshift paddles
• Shadow bronze jewellery pack
• Personalised sill plaques
• Rear parking assist camera
• Auto-dimming mirror with garage door opener
• Heated and ventilated seats
• Perforated leather door inserts
• Smokers’ pack
• Second glass key
• Aston Martin tracking by Cobra 13
• Alarm upgrade (Volumetric and tilt sensors)
• 6CD auto-changer
• First-aid kit