Powered by a 404kW 5.2-litre naturally aspirated V10, the Audi R8 V10 plus shares its heart with the Lamborghini Gallardo and is only one kilowatt shy of the its Italian cousin. It matches it for torque at 540Nm.
Audi has updated the R8’s transmission system from the robotised manual R tronic to the dual-clutch S tronic, which sees a 0.3 second improvement in 0-100km/h times across all variants. The base model V8 is still offered in a six-speed manual while the V10 and V10 plus are only available with S tronic automatic.
The range-topping V10 plus dashes from 0-100km/h in 3.5 seconds, making it the fastest Audi production car in history. It’s just one-tenth faster than the standard V10, which is likely to see limited sales given the plus offers more value and uniqueness than the $41,300 price difference.
From the outside a new single-frame front grille takes over while the LED headlights, tail-lights and front and rear bumpers have been revised. A new dynamic indicator (which instead of blinking, simply gets bigger from inside out) is also a new addition and a first for Audi.
The base model Audi R8 V8 4.2-litre FSI comes with leather upholstery, full LED headlights (previously an option), tyre pressure monitoring system, satellite navigation and 19-inch alloy wheels. Surprisingly, given its $279,500 price tag, it misses out on heated seats, which are a $990 option.
The R8 V10 plus, which is almost the same price as a manual Gallardo, gets a fair bit of standard equipment that is otherwise a pricey package. This includes ceramic brakes ($23,560 option on other R8 models), Audi exclusive bucket seats ($8650 option), extended fine nappa leather upholstery ($13,225 option), a more unique steering wheel ($670 option) and 19-inch 5-twin-spoke Y-design alloy wheels in titanium finish ($1740 option). Side blade, engine cover and inlays in carbon sigma are also there ($18,770 option), as is the Bang & Olufsen 12-speaker sound system ($1070 option) and heated seats ($990).
Read CarAdvice's 2013 Audi R8 Review.
Basic specifications of 2013 Audi R8:
- Audi R8 V8: 4.2-litre – 316kW – 430Nm – 0-100km/h in 4.3 seconds with S tronic – +0.3 for manual)
- Audi R8 V10 – 5.2L-litre – 386kW – 530Nm – 0-100km/h in 3.6 seconds – S tronic only
- Audi R8 V10 plus – 5.2-litre – 404kw – 540nm – 3.5 seconds – S tronic only.
2013 Audi R8 manufacturer's list prices:
- R8 Coupe 4.2 FSI V8 manual 316kW $279,500
- R8 Coupe 4.2 FSI V8 S tronic 316kW $287,000
- R8 Spyder 4.2 FSI V8 manual 316kW $308,400
- R8 Spyder 4.2 FSI V8 S tronic 316kW $315,900
- R8 Coupe 5.2 FSI V10 S tronic 386kW $366,900
- R8 Spyder 5.2 FSI V10 S tronic 386kW $395,800
- R8 Coupe 5.2 FSI V10 plus S tronic 404kW $408,200