The EPA ratings considered all of the passenger motor vehicles currently on sale, including those powered by hybrid, plug-in hybrid and fully electric powertrains. Of course, all cars in the top 10 are electric or electric-based vehicles, but it's interesting to see just how they all shaped up.
Out in front is the Mitsubishi i-MiEV with an equivalent fuel consumption rating of 1.86L/100km in the city and 2.37L/100km on the highway, leading to an average of 2.1L/100km. The i-MiEV is available in Australia from $48,800.
Taking second spot is the fully electric Nissan LEAF. It has an EPA rating of 2.2L/100km in the city and 2.55L/100km on the highway, combining for an average rating of 2.37L/100km. The Nissan LEAF is not yet on sale in Australia, but it will launch in April 2012.
Third spot is an interesting one. It is the fully electric Ford Azure Dynamics Transit Connect Van. It has an EPA rating of 3.79L/100km on both the city and highway cycles. The Azure Dynamics Transit Connect Van is not available in Australia.
Taking fourth spot is the plug-in Chevrolet Volt. It has an EPA rating of 4.05L/100km in the city and 3.79L/100km on the highway, combining for an average of 3.92L/100km. The Chevrolet Volt will go on sale in Australia as a Holden Volt at the end of 2012.
Rounding out the top five is the Toyota Prius. It has an EPA rating of 4.6L/100km in the city and 4.9L/100km on the highway, averaging 4.75L/100km. The Toyota Prius is currently on sale in Australia with an ADR combined fuel consumption rating of 3.9L/100km. Prices start at $34,990.
Making up the rest of the top 10 most fuel efficient cars rated by the EPA were: (city/highway)
6. Honda Civic Hybrid; Combined 5.34L/100km (5.34L/5.34L). Available in Australia from $34,490.
7. Toyota Prius V; Combined 5.61L/100km (5.34L/5.88L). Will join Australian line-up as Prius V or Prius + in 2012.
8. Lexus CT 200h; Combined 5.67L/100km (5.47L/5.88L). Available in Australia from $39,990.
9. Honda Insight; Combined 5.53L/100km (5.73L/5.34L). Available in Australia from $29,990.
10. Toyota Camry Hybrid LE: Combined 5.75L/100km (5.47L/6.03L). Available in Australia as Camry Hybrid from $36,990.