The Mazda RX-8 Spirit R, takes its name from the final edition of the model's prequel, the Mazda RX-7 Spirit R and comes with a range of additional exterior and interior features. There is no additional power extraction from the 1.3-litre rotary and at the time of writing it will be available in Japan.
Despite the end of production for the RX-8, Mazda says rotary ending development will continue, which makes us think the RX name is still determined to live on.
"Mazda's iconic rotary engine recorded its famous victory in the Le Mans 24-Hour endurance race 20 years ago. Throughout 2011, we have been celebrating the 20th anniversary of that victory by demonstrating the winning 787B racecar at Le Mans' Circuit de La Sarthe and various other events around the world. At each one, the screaming rotary engine and the sight of the 787B have enthralled everyone from young children to race fans who witnessed its victory in 1991. These events have been a powerful reminder of the widespread passion for the rotary engine. Although RX-8 production is ending, the rotary engine will always represent the spirit of Mazda and Mazda remains committed to its ongoing development." Takashi Yamanouchi, Mazda's Representative Director, Chairman of the Board, President and CEO, said.
Do you own an RX of some kind? Tell us some stories of what the car has meant to you in the comments section below.
List of additional standard features for the Mazda RX-8 Spirit R:
RX-8 Type RS (with six-speed manual transmission) and RX-8 Type E (with six-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission)
Manual & automatic additional features:
- Exclusive SPIRIT R badge
- Front headlights, front fog lights and rear combination lights (with black bezels)
- Front and rear brake calipers (red)
- Transmission tunnel trim (piano-black)
- Curtain and front side SRS airbag system
Unique features for manual RX-8 Spirit Rs
- Specially-made SPIRIT R bucket seats from RECARO
- 225/40R19 89W tires and 19-inch alloy wheels (bronze)
Unique features for automatic RX-8 Spirit Rs
- Leather seats (black with red stitching)
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel (black with red stitching)
- Parking brake lever (with red stitching)
- Center console box front seat armrest and rear console box lid covered with synthetic leather (with red stitching)
- Sports suspension, larger brakes
- 225/45R18 91W tires and 18-inch alloy wheels (gun metallic)
Limited edition available in
- Aluminum Metallic
- Sparkling Black Mica
- Crystal White Pearl Mica