Loading indicator
News & Reviews
Last 7 Days

by Brett Davis

To celebrate the Toyota LandCruiser’s 60th anniversary, Toyota has put together a nice little video tribute showcasing a timeline of the popular SUV as a bit of a birthday gift.

The video goes through each of the different generations briefly, showing some fairly unique off-road footage of the old LandCruisers, before giving us a few demonstrations of how well the LandCruiser has aged, proving it can still get over and through when the going gets rough.

Since it was launched 60 years ago, officially on August 1, 1951, the vehicle has been one of the most popular off-road options for consumers around the world. Even today, there are loads of off-road enthusiasts who simply can’t get enough of them.

According to VFACTS data, Toyota LandCruiser sales have dropped off a bit in Australia in the recent past, but it hasn’t stopped it being a popular choice for all-terrain fleet buyers here and abroad.

In July, Toyota sold 619 ‘Cruisers compared with 726 of the same month last year. So far this year Toyota has sold 4729 examples, compared with 5221 sales of the same period of last year. A percentage of this can be attributed to supply issues following March’s Japanese earthquake and tsunami disaster.

It’s still the most popular large SUV though, with the 200 Series model taking 73.1 per cent of the market share, leaving the remaining 26.9 percent to the Nissan Patrol.

After watching the LandCruiser tribute video below, it got us thinking, is the Toyota LandCruiser perhaps the all round best 4×4 of all time? It has served in the army and it is used by the United Nations like the some of the other contenders. What do you think?