The vehicles were produced in South Korea between November 15, 2010 and January 12, 2011. No vehicles manufactured in Australia are affected by the recall.
The official recall notice published on the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission explained:
“There is a potential condition of unsafe operation concerning part of the rear seat belt anchor and buckle assemblies.“In affected vehicles, passengers seated in the driver’s side rear or centre seat may not be restrained properly.”
Holden’s Emily Perry said the recall was global in nature and not isolated to Australia. She said the defect was discovered by General Motors’ quality control workers and said no incidents had been reported by customers.
Ms Perry said the recall inspection would only take a couple of minutes and if the defect was found the repair would take less than 30 minutes.
In the meantime, she encouraged owners to avoid driving with passengers in those two seating positions.
“Erring on the side of caution, we would recommend that people do not carry passengers in the centre rear and driver’s side rear seats until they have had them checked,” Ms Perry said.
Holden will contact all owners by mail and encourages all affected owners to contact their authorised dealership to arrange the inspection. Those after more information can contact Holden Customer Service on 1800 632 826.
Meanwhile, Ms Perry confirmed Australian Cruze models are not affected by the recent 154,000-vehicle recall in the US relating to a steering shaft defect, as those vehicles were sourced from a different production facility.