This is the car that will replace the highly successful DBRS9 racer that was launched in 2006 at Le Mans. Twenty-six cars later and still finishing on the podium, Aston Martin Racing’s John Gaw, says
it’s time to move on and compete with a new car that benefits from the latest racing technology design and the knowledge gained during the last six years of racing.
The Vantage GT3 will be built around the same lightweight aluminium VH architecture as the V12 Vantage road car, but with a target weight of just 1250 kilograms. With its stock in trade 6.0-litre V12 powertrain, mated to a race developed semi-automatic paddle shift Xtrack gearbox and race calibrated ABS and traction control systems, this should be one every fast bit of kit for the track.
Final performance figures are not yet known but expect power and torque to be up around 600 bhp (448 kW) and 700 Nm respectively.
The first car will be competed in July this year and will undergo extensive testing before ten customer cars will be built and delivered in time for the start of the 2012 race season.
If only Aston Martin would build a GT4 style car for the road, complete with fabric door pulls - I for one would put my hand up for such a vehicle.
Aston Martin Vantage GT3 - technical specification (provisional)
* Lightweight V12
* Dry sump oil system
* Target power >600bhp
* Target torque >700Nm
* Xtrac 6 speed sequential transmission with semi-automatic paddle shift gear change
* Limited slip ramp/plate differential
* Easily accessible drop gears
* Carbon fibrepropshaft
* Lightweight aluminiumchassis
* Steel roll cage to FIA safety standards
* High speed pneumatic jack system
* Double wishbone
* 2-way adjustable dampers front and rear
* Optimisedgeometry for lower race ride height
* Hydraulic power assisted steering
* Quick ratio steering rack
* 120 litrefuel cell to FIA safety standards
* Twin quick release couplings
* 6 pot front & 4 pot rear callipers
* Manually adjustable front/rear brake bias
* Adjustable motorsport ABS
* 12.5” x 18” front
* 13” x 18” rear
* Front 30/68-18
* Rear 31/71-18
* Target dry weight 1250kg