Reducing the speed camera tolerance down to zero was a ridiculous proposal to begin with. It meant motorists could be fined for speeding just 1km/h over the limit. If the proposal passed it would have pretty much sealed the deal that speed cameras are put in place simply and solely for revenue raising.
Now though, Deputy Premier Andrew Stoner is saying such plans will not go through. The Deputy Premier met with RTA chief executive Michael Bushby on Tuesday and directed him to terminate the proposal which was brought about by the Labor cabinet. Up until last week, the precise tolerance set for speed cameras was unknown, but a figure of 3km/h was leaked when plans of the proposal came about which wanted the tolerance reduced to zero.
Mr Stoner will be sworn in as the new NSW roads minister within the next week or so and will be setting the tolerance to a new figure. He hasn't said what the exact speed tolerance will be, but says it will be increased. Mr Stoner also said that the Coalition government was adamant about putting an end to such revenue raising tactics.
"The NSW Liberals and Nationals are determined to restore commonsense to government in NSW - this is one practical step towards that. We are determined to earn the trust of motorists by focusing on road safety, not revenue raising," Mr Stoner said, as reported by Fairfax.
Mr Stoner also announced that he will be asking the Audior-General to investigate speed cameras and will try to clean up the inconsistent and confusing speed limits around the state.
Hopefully, all this talking will be backed up by some actions. We'll keep you updated in any case.