To give you an idea, Honda Australia sold 10,457 Civics in 2010, capturing 4.5 percent of the small car market. In comparison, Toyota sold 41,632 Corollas and Mazda sold 39,003 Mazda3s during the same period. Despite being one of the world's best recognised models, Civic sales have consistently fallen short of its Japanese rivals in the Australian market.
To help boost sales, Honda Australia has equipped its British sourced hatches with better technology, stronger warranty and minor exterior changes.
New Honda Civic Si models now come with a five year or 140,000km warranty and adopt a Civic Type R like mesh grille (in favour of the plastic grille).
Other changes include the standardisation of Bluetooth technology plus there is now the option of having either cloth or leather trim.
The Honda Civic Si range is available in four colours and starts from $29,990 for the cloth trim six-speed manual. All Si variants make use of a 1.8-litre SOHC i-VTEC engine with 103kW and 174Nm of torque with a fuel economy of 6.9L/100km (combined cycle).
Honda Civics that arrive in Australia are sourced from Thailand (sedans), the United Kingdom (hatch and Type-R) and Japan (hybrid). In comparison, all Toyota Corolla and Mazda3 models are made in Japan.
- A six-speed manual transmission or optional five-speed automatic with Grade Logic Control
- Four wheel disc brakes with four-channel ABS, EBD and Brake-Assist
- Electric Power Steering
- Cruise control
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure
- Duel front, side and full length curtain airbags
- Vehicles Stability Assist (VSA) with Traction Control
- Seatbelt reminders for all passengers
- MacPherson strut front and torsion beam rear suspension
- Magic seats
- Multi-information display
- Climate controlled glovebox
- Security alarm
- Dual exhaust
- Auto on/off headlights with beam height adjustment
- Rain sensing two-speed variable intermittent front wipers
- Auto up/down driver and front passenger windows
- Dual zone climate control air conditioning with rear passenger vents
- Six speaker stereo with CD player, UBS and auxiliary jack and iPod and MP3 compatibility
- 17 inch five-spoke alloy wheels with 225/45 R17 tyres
- Rear parking sensors
- Fog lights
- Deflation warning system
- Civic Si cloth trim (manual)- $29,990
- Civic Si cloth trim (auto) - $32,290
- Civic Si leather trim (manual) - $32,190
- Civic Si leather trim (auto) - $34,490
- Plus $475 for metallic paint