2017 Renault Koleos Intens (4x4) Review
  • Interior Space, Technology, Sound System, Cooling seats, Cargo space
  • Usual CVT lag but better than previous model, Cruise control poor, Foot remote boot opener hit and miss, Doesnt have a cooled glove box like previous model, No Apple CarPlay
ANCAP RATING N/A

by Mark

I have owned two previous Koleos’s. I picked up my new Intens two weeks ago, which seems to be light years ahead of the old model in terms of space, finish and technology.

I looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe and Tuscon, the Kia Sportage, Isuzu, VW Tiguan and Toyota RAV4. Nothing came close in terms of features for the price.

So far along with normal city driving, I’ve done a 5 hour run on the freeway and an hour or so on the gravel and dirt leading to my parent’s farm. Its a delight to drive, light to steer with a tight turning circle, and confident on the gravel/dirt.

I’m still getting my head around all the tech – controlled by a large main screen which seems way ahead of anything else in its price range. The full scope of the technology is amazing – lane departure warning, blind spot warning, emergency braking, park assist, auto adjust rear view mirror – the list goes on and on. And then there’s the fun stuff like choosing the ambient lighting colour or the design of the dash instruments.

30,000km, once a year fixed price servicing, with a 5 year warranty and 5 year road side assist is a big bonus.

The only negatives I’ve encountered so far is the cruise control tends to over rev trying to keep a speed going up a hill – almost pushing the revs into the red. Then it struggles to hold the speed back. So not sure if that is an actual fault or a fault in design.

And Apple CarPlay would have been nice….

The sensor for waving your foot under the bumper to remotely open the boot is very hit and miss – so much so I’ve given up on it. I just push the button on the remote or the boot to have it power open.

But overall – loving it and its a lot of car for the money.

RENAULT KOLEOS BREAKDOWN