2010 Holden Epica CDX Review
  • Reliability & low running cocts, Practical with adjustable steering wheel & drivers seat etc, Spacious, Easy to use steering wheel controls
  • "Bland" styling (subjective of course), Air conditioning controls are bit fiddly

by David Lynch

I’ve owned my Epica from new (2010) so 5 years & 56,000kms later I am still very happy with the car. It has been totally reliable, starting first time every time, & has never given me any problems. It is a largish family-sized car with plenty of space & a practical boot.

I recently completed a 1,300km road trip & was delighted with it’s open road performance – the diesel was relaxed, ticking over between 1800-2000rpm (right in the maximum torque “sweet spot”), with plenty of punch for overtaking. I averaged 7lts/100kms for the trip which is excellent considering the high cruising speeds. Around town the car also averages in the 7-8lts/100kms so I can’t complain about its economy.

The Epica has numerous features only found on more expensive cars of this ilk, things like a tilt & telescopic adjustable steering wheel, multi-link rear suspension, gas struts for the bonnet & boot etc. I only do around 10,000kms a year & get the car serviced annually, specifying the best quality oils etc.

I also don’t run it on bio-diesel preferring to use the more expensive “pure” diesel from one of the major-brand fuel outlets. I remember the professional road testers were not particularly enamored with the Epica, labelling it boring & bland, but I’ve enjoyed the benefits of a practical, comfortable, reliable & economical vehicle with my long-term ownership – aspects that didn’t feature in the road tests. The Series II was a huge improvement over the initial model & the diesel is the “pick of the bunch” in my opinion.

2010 Holden Epica CDX Review Review