Loading indicator
News & Reviews
Last 7 Days


Almost 4000 fewer people passed through the turnstiles of last month’s 2012 Australian international motor show (AIMS) than the Harbour City’s previous show in 2010, as a number of key manufacturers bypassed the event.

Taking over the Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre from October 19 to 28, this year’s show saw more than 40 new models unveiled but only 135,050 people pass through the doors – 3950 down on 2010.

Despite the figures, AIMS event director Russ Tyrie told CarAdvice the event went “very well”, with the exception of a power outage on the last day caused by an issue with the power grid that meant around 1000 people that were cued up could not buy tickets.

“It was the last two hours of the show’s final day, affecting only Halls 4 and 5.”

Although 27 manufacturers made the decision not to attend this year’s show, Tyrie said of the brands that did make an appearance, the reaction was “very positive”.

Tyrie also expects post-show research will match pre-show expectations that around 30 per cent of attendees came to the show because they were in the market for a new car.

Ford Evos Concept

With the Lamborghini Sesto Elemento now on holidays around Hong Kong, the Middle East and Europe, the Aston Martin One-77 back in the hands of its owner, and the Lexus LF-LC Blue concept set to make an appearance at tomorrow’s Melbourne Cup, car enthusiasts are left to start planning trips to Melbourne for the 2013 show, which runs from June 28 to July 7, 2013.

Tyrie said organisers hope to have as many brands as possible attending the event, telling us to “watch this space”.