Loading indicator
News & Reviews
Last 7 Days


THE Brisbane International Motor Show, scheduled for February 6 to 15 next year, has been held over until 2010 because of a shortfall in exhibitor numbers resulting from the global economic downturn, organisers announced today.

The Australian Automobile Dealers Association (Queensland) said the cancellation of some manufacturer exhibition bookings, the latest being Toyota and Volkswagen, and the decision of others to not book meant the show would not be financially viable or attractive to the public.

Organising Chairman Chris Beecham said the show, which has been staged since 1964, would now focus immediately on the next event in February 2010.

“We will return in 2010 with a fresh and relevant focus. Along with the economic circumstances that have caused this decision, the motor industry is clearly re-evaluating its involvement in motor shows and we will meet that challenge,” Mr Beecham said.

“We already had some new concepts to introduce in 2009 to attract exhibitors and show visitors and these will be included in 2010, along with other ideas developed from the feedback of car companies.”

Brisbane Motor Show cancelled for 2009

Mr Beecham said Brisbane was not alone in its situation. The recent Australian International Motor Show in Sydney was without many brands, Los Angeles show last week was down and manufacturers were reviewing their commitments to the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January.

“We appreciate the decisions of manufacturers and importers to not come to Brisbane has largely been forced upon them by budget cuts by their overseas masters,” he said.

“The overseas problems have come all the way down the line to the local level and we have to take responsible decisions. Without a number of key brands, the show would not have been attractive to the public who expect to see a comprehensive line-up of what the industry has for sale.”






SHARE THIS ARTICLE