Inspired by Renault’s successful tender to the Gendarmerie Nationale (French Police) for a high-speed pursuit vehicle with a requirement for 265 horsepower (195kW), the Megane RS265 develops an additional 9kW and 20Nm of torque (for a maximum output of 360Nm) over its Megane RS250 predecessor.
The additional output from the Megane RS265’s 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine has also reduced its 0-100km/h-sprint time to a claimed six seconds flat. The car’s top speed is also up marginally from 250km/h to 255km/h.
Fuel consumption has also fallen by a claimed 5.7 per cent over the Megane RS250 to 8.2L/100km, with CO2 emissions down 190g/km.
The only transmission available for the Megane RS265 will be a six-speed manual unit, despite the fact that next-generation Renault Sport Clio will be available with a dual-clutch unit.
The car’s exhaust system features perforations and absorbers, which are said to heighten the exhaust note at idle and low revs (below 3000rpm). In the Sport setting the engine also produces a burble sound on overrun.
The Megane RS265 will be available from August 28 in three specification levels: the entry-level Cup, the mid-spec and sport-focused Trophy and the range-topping Trophy+.
The Megane RS265 Trophy+ is a direct response to the previous success of the special edition Megane Renault Sport 250 Monaco edition.
Pricing for the Renualt Megane RS265 line-up will start at $42,640 for the Cup, $47,140 for the Trophy and $51,640 for the Trophy+, before on-road costs are added.
Renault Australia has also secured an allocation of 100 special edition Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 models in recognition of the 8:08mins lap time set by the Renault Megane RS265 around Germany’s Nurburgring Nordschleife in 2011.
In setting the new front-wheel-drive lap record, the Renault Megane RS265 broke the existing 2008 record set by the Renault Megane R26.R.
The Megane Trophy 8:08 is distinguished by its availability in only two colours: Renault Sport’s signature liquid yellow, and pearl white. In addition, there’s leather-trimmed Recaro seats, black steev alloy wheels with red piping wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza RE050 tyres, limited edition Trophy decals and bi-xenon directional headlamps.
Regardless of the specification, all Renault Megane RS265’s come with Renault Sport’s proven Cup chassis with a limited slip differential as standard.
The exterior changes to the new Renault Megane RS265 over the Megane RS250 are subtle, but include a reworked front end that now includes two rows of six LEDs along with chrome highlights and black headlight masks.
The five-colour palette for the core Megane RS265 range includes glacier white (solid), capsicum red (solid), star black (metallic), mercury (metallic) and lunar grey (metallic).The centre strake of the front bumper and F1-style blade, door mirror covers and rear diffuser are finished in gloss black across the range.
Inside, there are new interior trims and, depending on the specification level, red or yellow stitching on the seats, steering wheel and gear knob, complimenting the dashboard and seatbelts.
Other interior features include black lacquer accents for the centre console and air vent surrounds and carbon-look for the door trim inserts.
Options for the Megane RS265 Cup include satellite navigation with a reversing camera and park assist (standard on Trophy+), electrically operated heated black RS leather seats, RS red design pack and metallic paint.
Options for the Megane RS265 Trophy include leather Recaro seats with rear armrest, bi-xenon directional headlamps, front parking sensors and satellite navigation.
Options for the Megane RS265 Trophy+ include Recaro leather seats, metallic paint and RS red design pack.
Renault Megane RS265 pricing:
• Megane RS265 Cup – $42,640
• Megane RS265 Trophy – $47,140
• Megane RS265 Trophy+ – $51,640
• Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 – $49,990
Standard specifications for Mégane RS 265 Cup
- Renault Sport cloth front seats with height adjustment and driver adjustable lumbar support
- 18-inch Tibor alloy wheels
- Eight airbags – dual front, side, anti-submarining and front/rear curtain airbags
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Electronic Brake Assist (EBA)
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Red Brembo front wheel brake callipers
- Automatic headlights with headlight washers and “see me home” function
- LED daytime running lights mounted in front bumper
- Rear parking sensors
- Driver and front passenger seat belt warning light and tone
- Front seatbelts with pre-tensioners and load limiters
- Renault Anti-Intruder Device – automatic locking of doors while driving (activated once above 30km/h)
- Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR)
- Limited Slip Differential (LSD)
- Sports-tuned Electronic Stability Program (ESP) with three modes (normal/sport/off)
- Cruise control and speed limiter
- Indicators with highway mode
- Dual-zone climate control with Air Quality Sensor
- Height and reach adjustable leather steering wheel with contrast stitching
- 12-volt socket
- Automatic windscreen wipers with rain sensor
- 4x30W AM/FM 3D sound by Arkamys (4 speakers/ 4 tweeters) with single CD/MP3 player and fingertip controls
- Auxiliary and USB input
- Bluetooth with audio streaming
- Renault Sport Monitor
- Single centre chrome exhaust
- Electric, heated, foldable door mirrors
- Space-saver spare wheel
Mégane RS 265 Trophy adds the following features;
- RECARO cloth with leatherette trim front bucket seats
- 19-inch STEEV alloy wheels
- Renault Smart Card Key (hands-free entry and engine start)
- Tyre pressure monitor
Mégane RS 265 Trophy+ adds:
- Renault Sport charcoal leather trimmed, heated and height adjustable front seats
- Electrically adjustable driver’s seat with memory function and lumbar support
- Integrated satellite navigation system with 7-inch screen and reversing camera
- Bi-Xenon directional headlights
- Fixed glass roof with shade cover
- Front and rear parking sensors