Mercedes-Benz has today announced pricing for its next generation SLK roadster.
The 2008 SLK’s sport credentials are further enhances by an additional two powerplants that consume less fuel.
Both four-cylinder and six-cylinder sports engines in the SLK 200 Kompressor and SLK 350 offer even more power ad torque. The SLK 55 AMG is the only vehicle which retains its already impressive powerplant. All eight-cylinders of supercharged performance remain a unique selling point in the SLK segment.
Mercedes-Benz engineers spent time fine tuning the fast-running V6 engine featured in the SLK 350 totally changing the six-cylinder’s character by making sweeping changes to the mechanical setup.
Although the displacement remains the same at 3498 cc, the engine now develops 224 kW at 6500 rpm – some 24 kW more than its predecessor. The peak torque has also been boosted, by 10 Nm, and now stands at 360 Nm when the engine is running at 4900 rpm.
The impressive result was obtained by increasing the rev limiter to 6800RPM. The rev limiter can even be increased to a staggering 7200RPM for a brief moment – depending on oil temperature and other engine circumstances.
The new 7G-TRONIC transmission allows the system to automatically blip the throttle on the downshift. The blip produces a very sporty sound, along with reducing load effects.
Despite an increase in output and performance, the SLK 350 uses less fuel. When fitted with the six-speed manual transmission, fuel consumptions drops to just 9.5l/100km, a reduction of 2.3l/100km. CO2 emissions are also reduced by 54g/km to 227g/km.
The 3.0-litre petrol V6-powered SLK 280 has been removed from the SLK-Class model catalogue.
Standard equipment for the three new-generation SLK models has also been improved. Standard fitment now includes:
* Direct steering with variable assistance
* COMAND navigation and entertainment system (in SLK 350 and SLK 55 AMG)
* AIRSCARF neck-level heating system (in SLK 350 and SLK 55 AMG)
* Mercedes-Benz Audio 20 sound system with integrated six-disc DVD changer
* Six-speed manual transmission for both the SLK 200 Kompressor and SLK 350 (7G-TRONIC seven-speed automatic transmission optionally available) and AMG SPEEDSHIFT seven-speed automatic transmission for the SLK 55 AMG
* UCI universal media interface
* Transparent draught stop
* New 17-inch alloy wheels (for SLK 200 Kompressor and SLK 350)
|Model||Engine (all petrol)||Power||Torque||Fuel Cons.||Price*||Available|
|SLK 200 Kompressor||1.8l, 4-cyl, supercharged||135 kW||250 Nm||8.0l/100km||$86,780||June 2008|
|SLK 350||3.5l V6||224 kW||360 Nm||9.5l/100km||$112,380||June 2008|
|SLK 55 AMG||5.4l V8, AMG-enhanced||265 kW||510 Nm||12.1l/100km||$164,900||June 2008|